Asked by Meg Johnson

on 29/8/21

I have noticed that my hair feels thinner. I usually have thicker hair and I can usually feel it weighing down on my head. I wonder if I experienced some hair loss and wonder if it is something more serious. I noticed this three days ago when I washed my hair with a different shampoo and conditioner. I didnt feel any clumps come out and see no bald patches. Since it was a different shampoo and conditioner, I really had to scrub it out and maybe scrubbed too hard and for too long. I also brushed it while it was wet and extremely tangled. There was a medium sized clump in the drain when I checked, but my father said that he hadnt cleaned the drain in a while and was most likely built up from weeks. My hair is still thick, but I feel like it could be thicker. I have hypothyroidism (have for a long time now) an d take medication for it and I also smoke, but I have never experienced anything like this before. Lately, I have also been wearing my hair up in a tight ponytail or bun. Now, I still see some shedding on my pillow and in the shower which I know is normal. The hair sometimes has a white bulb at the end of it and I want to know of thay means something serious. My scalp has a bit of itching from time to time, but no redness, sores or rashes. I can normally see a little bit of scalp through my part and if I move hair a certain way on the back of my head. I doubt it is alopecia or telegen effluvium because I have read the symptoms and seen the pictures and my hair is nothing like that. But I am not a professional.

Replies to question

Dr. Sumedha Paudel

Medical officer, 2 Years of practice

Dear Meg, Need do see the scalp and examine it to know exactly what it is. Its better if you consult skin and dermatologist in person or via online consultation via this app too in private chat so that you would get appropriate suggestion.

Answered on 29/8/21

Post your Reply

Press Here to type in नेपाली ➤