Erectile dysfunction is inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex. It is one of the common sex problem that men report to their doctor. It affects as many as 30 million men.
Though it’s not rare for a man to have some problems with erections from time to time, erectile dysfunction that is progressive or happen routinely with sex is not normal, and it should be treated.
What are the causes of erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction can occur as a result of medical problems, emotional issues, or from both. Some known risk factors are:
- Being over age 40 or 50
- Having high blood sugar (Diabetes)
- Having cardiovascular disease
- Having high cholesterol
- Using drugs or drinking too much alcohol
- Being obese
- Lacking physical activity and exercise
Even though erectile dysfunction becomes more common as men age, growing old is not always going to cause erectile dysfunction. Some men stay sexually functional into their 80s. Erectile dysfunction sometimes can be an early sign of serious health problem related to cardiovascular system. Finding and treating the reason for erectile dysfunction is a vital step.
Image source: treated.com
Physical causes of erectile dysfuction
Erectile dysfunction happens when:
- There is not enough blood flow to the penis
- The penis cannot trap blood during erection
- Nerve signals from the brain or spinal cord do not reach the penis
- Diabetes can cause small vessel disease or nerve damage to the penis
- Cancer treatments near the pelvis can affect penis functionality
- Drugs used to treat other health problems like anti-hypertensive can negatively impact erection
Emotional causes of erectile dysfunction
Normal sex needs the perfect balance between mind and body. Emotional and relationship problem can worsen erectile dysfunction. Some emotional issue which can cause erectile dysfunction are:
- Relationship conflict
- Stress at home & work
- Stress from social, regional or cultural conflict
- Worry about sex performance
How to treat erectile dysfunction?
Measures to get relief from ED includes both surgical as well as non surgical techniques. Non surgical techniques are preferred which includes:
- Oral medicine like Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, stendra are most often prescribed for ED
- Testosterone therapy (when low testosterone is detected in blood testing)
- Penile injection
- Intraurethral medication
- Vacuum erection device
- Penile implants
Surgical techniques includes the surgery to bypass penile artery damage for some younger man with a history of severe pelvic trauma.
When to see doctor if you think you are having erectile dysfunction?
Sex is still considered as private matter & people don’t feel good to discuss it with others but erectile dysfunction is one of the topic which should be consulted to the nearby physician as possible. As it don’t matter only for your sex life but also for the condition of your other health related issue and has relationship with marietal as well as sexual life. So, you should consult with doctor for knowing the causes of it should to prevent further hazards.