Back pain, quite common cause of disability worldwide and a common reason for the absence from work and for seeking medical treatment. Back pain is pain in the posterior aspect/back of the body. The back pain is divided into neck pain, middle back pain, lower back pain & tailbone pain based on the segment affected. Back pain is categorized into two types:
Acute pain which start suddenly and last for up to 6 weeks
Chronic or long-term pain develops over 3 months, and cause ongoing problem
What are the causes of back pain?
Most often back pain are caused due to the following reasons:
- Physical injuries
- Fractures or fall
- Strained muscle or ligament
- A muscle spasm
- There are various structural problem which also leads to back pain as: Bulging disc, sciatica, osteoporosis, kidney problem
- Poor posture remains the major cause which includes: straining the neck forward as using computer, long driving without rest, standing or sitting for long period
The major symptom of back pain is pain anywhere in the back and may sometime all the way down to the buttocks and legs, & may radiate to the other parts with the similar nerve supply as radiating pain.
Image source: spine universe
How to get relief from back pain?
Nobody wants pain so do every wants relief from back pain as soon possible. There are two ways you can use to get relief from chronic back pain, one is home remedies including lifestyle changes and other is surgery if needed in late stages.
What are the home remedies for back pain?
Physical Therapy: Exercise at home and getting out of your comfort zone is a big way in getting relief from back pain. However, under the guidance of your physician and spine physical therapist you can design particular exercise for your specialized problem to get relief from it. Physical therapy include:
- Retraining your posture
- Testing the limit of pain tolerance
- Stretching and flexibility exercise
- Aerobic exercise
- Core strengthening
Mindfulness and meditation: Chronic back pain is straining both physically and emotionally. To manage frustration, irritability & depression, you may need to do meditation & yoga.
Life style modification: When you have chronic back pain, it’s important to accept your limitations and adapt. You can leave sedentary life style and start doing some physical activity or leave the work which you can’t perform with back pain
Alternative treatment methods: Acupuncture, massage, biofeedback therapy, laser therapy, electric nerve stimulation and nonsurgical spine treatment can also make some difference for chronic back pain.
Medicines for back pain: Analgesic, anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to help control back pain. You can take the over the counter pain killer for relieving pain. But be careful while taking it too.
Surgery for back pain:
Spine surgeries can be done if you have prolapsed disk or other medical conditions that needs surgery, You doctor will decide the need for surgery.
When to see doctor if you have back pain?
You should seek the docter's help as soon as possible in following situations:
- When the pain start radiating to various part which indicates the involvement of the nerve and need surgery for correction
- When you become unable to perform basic household work like sitting & standing from chair/toilet seats
- Searing pain that travels down either or both of legs
- A feeling of numbness in the lower body especially in the legs
- Sudden appetite loss and unexplained weight loss
- A sudden severe pain in the lower back
- Loss of bladder control that is you are unable to hold urine and stool