Coffee, is one of the most commonly consumed drinks by the people all over the world. It is also one of the most studied dietary component over decades & having lots of controversies; finally considered to have lots of benefits despite being some drawbacks on the research conducted by various institutes and scientist all over the world.
What are the benefits of coffee?
Moderate coffee consumption (three to four cups per day) has been linked with longer life span & associated with 8% to 15% reduction in risk of death. Other studies have found coffee drinkers have reduced risk of various common causes of deaths:
- Heart disease like heart attack, heart failure, & stroke
- Type 2 diabetes
- Parkinson’s disease
- Cirrhosis of liver
- Uterine and liver cancer
Beside these medical benefits coffee has also been said to have following diverse positive effects on our lifestyle and daily living.
- Reduces suicide risk and depression
- Coffee reduces colorectal cancer risk
- Reduces the pain
- Increase your fiber amount in diet
Image source: BBCgoodfood.com
What are the possible health risks of coffee?
A number of studies have linked coffee consumption to health problems.
- Bladder and pancreatic cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Cardiovascular disease with higher consumption
- Coffee can impair sleep
It is not that all the person consuming coffee has the following diseases but in different studies conducted there have some some association between coffee and these disease conditions. There are further more study undergoing and it will reveal more aspects of coffee in upcoming days.
Should you drink coffee then?
Looking at the both positive and negative aspect of coffee, expert suggest that:
- If you don’t like coffee, there is no current recommendation to drink it anyway.
- If you are already a coffee drinker, it should be reassuring that after decades of research, no strong link can be found between coffee intake and cancer and, to contrary, a number of health benefits accompany coffee consumption, but also moderating your coffee intake is better
Things to care:
Beverages at very high temperature i.e. over 149 degree F has potential risk of esophageal cancer. So, don’t drink coffee at very high temperature