As the pandemic of the COVID-19 has evolved throughout the world, there is the scarcity of household supplies as well as the sanitary items like hand sanitizers and surgical masks. There is havoc in general public in storing the different items including surgical mask that has created its scarcity in healthcare facilities.
It’s a wide growing concern that does the ordinary surgical masks really prevent the Coronavirus. World Health Organzation(WHO) and Centre for Disease Control(CDC) has clearly stated about when to use and where to use the mask. Let’s discuss more about it here.
What does CDC says about the wearing of mask to prevent COVID-19?
CDC has clearly mentioned in its website’s FAQ regarding Coronavirus that it does not recommend that people who are well to wear the facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illness including COVID-19. You need to wear it only if healthcare professionals recommends it. It should be used by the people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms. It helps to protects others from getting infected. The use of facemask is much essential for the healthcare workers and others who are taking care of someone infected in COVID-19 in close settings.
What does World Health Organization says about use of masks?
WHO has mentioned in its website that you need to wear a mask only if you are ill with COVID-19 symptoms (especially coughing) or looking after someone who may have COVID-19. Disposable face mask can only be used once. If you are not ill or looking after someone who is ill then you are wasting a mask.
As there is a world-wide shortage of masks, so WHO had urged people to use masks wisely.
WHO had also advised for rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of precious resources and misuse of masks.
Few things to take care while you are using masks as mentioned in WHO’s official website:
- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
How to dispose the mask effectively?
World Health Organization recommends the following precautions for the use and disposal of mask effectively.
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.