Diarrhoea is the condition of altered consistency and frequency of stool generally more than three times a day. In simple words its loose and watery bowel movements.
- Food poisioning
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Colonic polyps and bowel cancers
- Loose stool more than three times a day
- Pain abdomen
- Signs of dehydration: Sunken eyes, thirst, decreased urination
- History of intake of medications, food poisoning, raw foods
Patients with diarrhea if have any of the following signs need to contact to the hospitals nearby immediately.
- Blood in stool
- Diarrhea more than 2 days
- Severe pain abdomen or around rectum
- Nausea or vomiting that doesn’t allows to take oral fluids
Generally diarrhea is clinical diagnosis. Stool examination and blood examination can be done.
- Fluid replacement by Oral Rehydration Salts suffice in major cases if patient is not in severe dehydration and able to take orally.
- Hospitalization and intravenous fluids is necessary if patient is severely dehydrated and not able to take oral fluids and if patient has above mentioned warning signs.
- Zinc supplementation to prevent the further course of diarrhea.
- Treatment of the particular cause may be necessary.
- Proper personal hygiene and environmental sanitation
- Hand washing by proper methods with soap and clean after defication
- Only drink boiled water or after other methods of purification
- Breastfeeding and proper nutrition for children