Bipolar disorder is a common and severe mood disorder in which patient has a recurrent episode of mania (elevated mood) and depression.
: In BPD, patient has alternate episode of deep, prolonged and profound depression and excessively elevated mood.
- Maniac episode
- Markedly increased self esteem
- Diminished need for sleep
- Excessively talking
- Unusually alert
- Trying to do many things
- Depressive episode
- Depressed mood
- Decreased pleasure/interest in all activities
- Weight loss or gain
- Loss or increase in appetite
- Excessive sleep/decreased sleep
- Preoccupied with death or suicide
The cause is not known but it is believed genetic, biochemical, psychodynamic and environmental factors contributes.
Diagnosis is made after careful medical history and psychiatric examination by health professional.
There is no cure for bipolar but treatment works well.
- Medication: It often takes 4-6 week to have full effect.
- Antidepressants like fluoxetine, citalopram
- Antipsychotic like risperidone, olanzapine,haloperidol
- Other Mood stablisers like sodium valproate, benzodiazepam etc.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (karentko jhatka): in case of severe depression
- Psychosocial treatment