Baldness is hair loss, or absence of hair. Baldness is usually most noticeable in the scalp and more common in man.
- Hair loss: is the only symptoms but it can occur in various pattern:
- Female pattern: generalized thinning all over head
- Male pattern: this is usually inherited. Hair loss usually starts from front or sides or crown
- Alopecia areata: sudden loss of hair in one particular area
- Scarring alopecia: scarred area may prevent regrowth of hair.
- Toxic alopecia: may occur after high fever
Genetic predisposition and male hormone contributes. Injury leading to scar also cause hair loss over scarred area.
by medical history and clinical examination
- Change in hormones
- Family history of baldness
- Iron or protein deficiency
- Medication to promote hair growth(eg. Minoxidil, finasteride etc.)
- Corticosteroid injection (for alopecia areata)
- Hair transplant