Asked by Shishir Tamang Moktan

6 months ago

"Hello, my mother is experiencing symptoms such as redness, pain, and swelling in her leg which I believe is cellulitis. Could you please advise on the appropriate steps we should take for her medical evaluation and treatment? Which medical specialist or facility should we visit for a thorough examination and further diagnosis?"

Replies to question

Post Reply
Dr. Sandesh Lamsal

MD (General Physician), 1 Years of practice

Cellulitis is a common bacterial skin infection that causes redness, pain, tenderness, and swelling in the infected area of the skin usually in the legs, but it can occur on the face, arms and other areas. We typically diagnose cellulitis by looking at the affected skin during the physical examination, but sometimes Blood tests such as CBC, CRP, etc. as well as USG of the swelling area might be helpful to rule out other conditions. Both general surgeons and orthopaedic surgeons are the best options to contact in the case of cellulitis. Generally, your doctor might choose oral antibiotics, which can extend up to hospitalization for IV antibiotic medication and even drainage in severe cases. Appropriate steps in your case right now at home before your visit to the doctor might be: 1. Place a cool, damp cloth on the affected area for your comfort. 2. Elevate the affected part of the body. 3. Regularly move the joint near the affected body part, such as your knee or ankle, to stop it from getting stiff. 4. Analgesics might be helpful for pain relief. 5. Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.

Answered 6 months ago

Post your Reply

Press Here to type in नेपाली ➤