Asked by a

on 15/12/21

CAN MINOXIDIL CAUSE SEXUAL PROBLEMS? Dear doctors, I am 22 years old, I am having a beginning of androgenetic alopecia (diagnosed by a trichologist dermatologist). There are two known medicines approved: minoxidil and finasteride (or the natural alternative Serenoa Repens). I decided not to take neither finasteride nor Serenoa repens due to the possible effects on the sexual sphere. In particular, in the past I turned to an andrologist / urologist for problems in maintaining an erection and decreased libido and he told me that from a physical point of view everything was ok (only a varicocele) and that everything was attributable to the really stressful period that I was going through and anxiety. In fact, now after months the situation has improved. Excluding therefore the finesteride and serenoa I was quite convinced of the use of minoxidil at the topical level (I thought that a lotion could not cause problems) but informing me also this can give problems from a sexual point of view, there are many testimonies and also authoritative sites that they talk about it. The situation is becoming a vicious circle between the anxiety and discomfort of losing hair at my age and the fear of sexual problems. Having said that I ask you, can minoxidil lotion (concentration 5% or 2%) actually cause decreased libido or sexual problems? Thank you.

Replies to question

Dear user, if you would like to consult online with the doctor, please go through the link below, https://www.hamrodoctor.com/service/urology

Answered on 16/12/21

Post your Reply

Press Here to type in नेपाली ➤