RAB is brand name of Rabeprazole 20mg. Rabeprazole is an antiulcer drug in the class of proton pump inhibitors. Rabeprazole is a PPI that suppresses gastric acid secretion by inhibiting the gastric H+/K+ ATPase at the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cell.
Proton Pump Inhibitors.
Dose and Direction of Use
Swallow the tablet whole by mouth 30 minutes before taking the meal with water. Don't crush, chew or break the tablet. Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
Suppress gastric acid secretion by inhibiting the gastric H+/K+ ATPase (hydrogen-potassium adenosine triphosphatase) at the secretory surface of the gastric parietal cell. Because this enzyme is regarded as the acid (proton) pump within the parietal cell, rabeprazole has been characterized as a gastric proton-pump inhibitor. Rabeprazole blocks the final step of gastric acid secretion. In gastric parietal cells, rabeprazole is protonated, accumulates, and is transformed to an active sulfonamide.
Treatment and prevention of relapse of Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease.
Symptomatic treatment of Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease
Treatment of Duodenal Ulcers
Treatment of Gastric Ulcers
Patients whose Gastric and Duodenal Ulceration is not associated with ingestion of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) usually require treatment with Antimicrobial agents in addition to Antisecretory drugs whether on first presentation or on recurrence.
Rabeprazole is also indicated, in combination with Clarithromycin and Amoxicillin, for:
Eradication of Helicobacter pylori in patients with Peptic Ulcer Disease or Chronic Gastritis
Healing of Peptic Ulcers in patients with Helicobacter Pylori associated Ulcers.
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to this medicine
Precautions and Warning
- Talk to doctor about your medical condition like liver disease, lupus, low magnesium level before taking this medicine.
- With long term use, higher dose and in older age, this medication has high chance of bone fractures. So, its better to discuss with doctor about ways to prevent bone fractures like taking calcium supplements.
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Only give this medication to a child if prescribed by doctor.