Myocil is a brand of Cilnidipine available as Myocil 5/ 10/ 20 mg tablets for the management of Hypertension along with End Organ Protection, Patient with Diabetes Mellitus, Albuminuria, and Chronic Kidney Disease.
Cilnidipine is a 4th generation dihydropyridine (DHP) type of CCB originally developed in Japan. Unlike other calcium channel antagonists, Myocil blocks the influx of Ca++ ions into both vascular smooth muscle at the level of L-type Ca channels and neuronal cells at the level of N-type Ca channels. The blockade of N-type Ca++ channels affects predominantly peripheral nerve endings of sympathetic neurons. So, Myocil reduces sympathetic over activity in addition to reducing vascular resistance (through L type Ca++ Channel blockage).
Dose and Direction of Use
PO 5-10 mg once daily, up to 20 mg once daily if needed.
Swallow the tablet whole by mouth. You can take it with or without food. Don't crush, chew or break the tablet. Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
Cilnidipine blocks the influx of Ca2+ ions into both vascular smooth muscle at the level of L-type Ca2+ channels and neuronal cells at the level of N-type Ca2+ channels. The L-type Ca2+ channel blockade by cilnidipine affects predominantly vascular smooth muscle, thereby producing vasodilation of peripheral resistance vessels and coronary arteries. The blockade of N-type Ca2+ channels affects predominantly peripheral nerve endings of sympathetic neurons, thereby dilating blood vessels by lowering plasma catecholamine levels.
Hypertension / High blood pressure
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Cardiogenic shock; recent MI or acute unstable angina; severe aortic stenosis
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem or liver problem, low blood pressure or heart disease before taking this medicine
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine.
- It may cause dizziness or drowsiness so avoid any activity that requires concentration unless you know how the medicine acts on you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it can worsen the side effects.
- It can cause ankle or foot swelling. To reduce the swelling, raise your legs while you are sitting down. Talk to your doctor if it does not go away.