ITONORM 150 - SR
The Active Ingredient of ITONORM is Itopride Hydrochloride. It improves motility (automatic bowel and stomach movements, which are necessary to pass food through Digestive tract) and prevent from Nausea and Vomiting.
Drugs for functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.
Dose and Direction of Use
The recommended dose for adults is 150 mg daily, i.e. 1 capsule a day before meal. Take the medication as instructed by the doctor which could change on the basis of patient's age or response to treatment.
Mode of Action
Itopride has anticholinesterase (AchE) activity as well as dopamine D2 receptor antagonistic activity. It is well established that M3 receptors exist on the smooth muscle layer throughout the gut and acetylcholine (ACh) released from enteric nerve endings stimulates the contraction of smooth muscle through M3 receptors. The enzyme AChE hydrolyses the released ACh, inactivates it and thus inhibits the gastric motility leading to various digestive disorders. Besides ACh, dopamine is present in significant amounts in the gastrointestinal tract and has several inhibitory effects on gastrointestinal motility, including reduction of lower esophageal sphincter and intragastric pressure. These effects appear to result from suppression of ACh release from the myenteric motor neurons and are mediated by the D2 subtype of dopamine receptors. Itopride, by virtue of its dopamine D2 receptor antagonism, removes the inhibitory effects on Ach release. It also inhibits the enzyme AchE which prevents the degradation of ACh. The net effect is an increase in ACh concentration, which in turn, promotes gastric motility, increases the lower esophageal sphincter pressure, accelerates gastric emptying and improves gastro-duodenal coordination. This dual mode of action of Itopride is unique and different from the actions of other prokinetic agents.
Treatment of Gastrointestinal symptoms of functional Non-Ulcer Dyspepsia, like feelings of Bloating, Gastric Fullness, Upper Abdominal pain, Anorexia, Heartburn, Nausea and Vomiting.
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to the Active substance or to any of the Excipients.
Precautions and Warning
- Limit the use of alcohol intake with this medication to avoid unnecessary side effects.
- If bleeding occurs and blood is seen in the stool then report to your doctor as soon as possible. This medication should be stopped if bleeding is seen.
- Use of this medication is not suggested for children below the age of 16.
- Talk to your doctor if you are taking other medicinal supplements, herbal medicines before taking this medication.
- Consult to your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding before taking this medicine.