The active ingredient of GUNAVIR is Entecavir monohydrate, antivirals for systemic use, nucleoside and nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors. It is used to treat hepatitis B virus in adults and children who are atleast 2 years old with weight around 10 kgs. This medication is not a cure for Hepatitis.
Antiviral. Hepatitis B / Hepatitis C agent
Dose and Direction of Use
Take this medication in an empty stomach 2 hours before or after meal by mouth as directed by the doctor, usually once daily. The dosage is based on the your medical condition and response to the treatment and on the basis of weight for children.
Mode of Action
Entecavir, a guanosine nucleoside analogue with activity against HBV polymerase, is efficiently phosphorylated to the active triphosphate (TP) form, which has an intracellular half-life of 15 hours. By competing with the natural substrate deoxyguanosine TP, Entecavir-TP functionally inhibits the 3 activities of the viral polymerase:
- Priming of the HBV DNA polymerase,
- Reverse transcription of the negative strand DNA from the pregenomic messenger RNA, and
- Synthesis of the positive strand HBV DNA.
Treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection in adults with:
- Compensated Liver Disease and evidence of active viral replication, persistently elevated serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels and histological evidence of active inflammation and/or fibrosis.
- Decompensated Liver Disease.
- For both compensated and decompensated liver disease, this indication is based on clinical trial data in nucleoside naive patients with HBeAg positive and HBeAg negative HBV infection. With respect to patients with lamivudine-refractory hepatitis B.
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any of the excipients
Precautions and Warning
- Talk to your doctor about medical history like liver problem, HIV infection, kidney problem or intake of Hepatitis drugs previously.
- This medication can make you dizzy so aviod alcoholic drinks.
- Aviod machinery or driving work that requires alertness.
- Have proper consultation if you are pregnant or breast-feeding mother.
- Patient may develop lactic acidosis. So, doctor should check for the sign and symptoms of breathing problem, dizziness, stomach pain and unusal muscle pain.
- Liver function test should be frequently performed.