Etodolac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) with anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic properties. Its therapeutic effects are due to its ability to inhibit prostaglandin synthesis. Etodolac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to treat Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Acute Pain.
NSAIDs, COX-2 Inhibitor
Dose and Direction of Use
Take this medication by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually once daily with full glass of water. Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug. Do not crush or chew this medication. To reduce your risk of stomach bleeding and other side effects, take this medication at the lowest effective dose for the shortest possible time. Do not increase your dose or take it for a longer time than prescribed.It may take up to two weeks of taking this drug regularly until you get the full benefit.
Mode of Action
Similar to other NSAIDs, the anti-inflammatory effects of etodolac result from inhibition of the enzyme cycooxygenase (COX). This decreases the synthesis of peripheral prostaglandins involved in mediating inflammation. Etodolac binds to the upper portion of the COX enzyme active site and prevents its substrate, arachidonic acid, from entering the active site. Etodolac was previously thought to be a non-selective COX inhibitor, but it is now known to be 5 – 50 times more selective for COX-2 than COX-1. Antipyresis may occur by central action on the hypothalamus, resulting in peripheral dilation, increased cutaneous blood flow, and subsequent heat loss.
For acute and long-term management of signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, as well as for the management of pain.
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to this medicine
Precautions and Warning
- Drink plenty amount of water as directed by doctor to avoid dehydration.
- Before taking this medication, talk to doctor about your medical history such as breathing problems, heart problems, ulcers, stomach problems.
- It is not recommended for children.
- Patient with medical history of liver problem, heart problem, diabetes are at the greater risk of side effects. So, physician should be alert and provide lowest dose for shortest time as possible.