DOVE 80 is brand name of Drotaverine HCl 80mg. It is an antispasmodic medicine. It is used in the treatment of menstrual pain and abdominal pain. It provides relief from pain due to smooth muscle spasm like menstrual pain, pain due to kidney stones, pain due to biliary stone and gastrointestinal colicky pain.
Dose and Direction of Use
Swallow the tablet whole by mouth. You can take it with or without food but it is better to take at a fixed time. Don't crush, chew or break the tablet. Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
Drotaverine is a spasmolytic agent by inhibiting PDE4 in smooth muscle cells. Drotaverine inhibits phosphodiesterases hydrolysing cAMP, thereby increasing cAMP concentration, decreasing Ca uptake of the cells and changing the distribution of calcium among the cells.
Pain relief to treat abdominal pain (or stomach pain) as well as cramps, bloating and discomfort associated with menstrual cycles and kidney stones
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to this medicine
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem, heart problem or liver problem before taking this medicine
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine. Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor.
- It may cause dizziness or drowsiness so avoid any activity that requires concentration unless you know how the medicine acts on you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it can worsen the side effects.
- Monitor your blood pressure regularly as it may cause drop in blood pressure.