Generic Name:- Colecalciferol 60,000IU
Manufactured By:- National Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
Colecalciferol, also known as vitamin D3 is a type of vitamin D found in food and used as a dietary supplement. As a supplement it is used to treat and prevent vitamin D deficiency including rickets. It is also used for familial hypophosphatemia, hypoparathyroidism that is causing low blood calcium, and Fanconi syndrome
Dose and Direction of Use
Preferably with a meal.
Mode of Action
Colecalciferol (Vitamin D3) produces hormone-like actions it is converted to Calcitriol (an active form of vitamin D3) inside the body which controls phosphorous and calcium metabolism, bone remodelling and neuromuscular function.
- Rickets and osteomalacia
- Growing children
- Familial Hypophosphatemia and Hypoparathyroidism
- Management of hypocalcemia and renal osteodystrophy in patients with Chronic Renal Failure undergoing dialysis
- Vitamin D deficiency states including patients of diabetes mellitus with vitamin D deficiency
- Hypervitaminosis D
Precautions and Warning
- Vitamin D should be used with caution in patients with impairment of renal function and the effect on calcium and phosphate levels should be monitored.
- The risk of soft tissue calcification should be taken into account.
- In patients with severe renal insufficiency, vitamin D in the form of colecalciferol is not metabolised normally and other forms of vitamin D should be used
- Caution is required in patients receiving treatment for cardiovascular disease.
- It should be prescribed with caution to patients suffering from sarcoidosis because of the risk of increased metabolism of vitamin D to its active form. These patients should be monitored with regard to the calcium content in serum and urine.
- Allowances should be made for vitamin D supplements from other sources.
- The need for additional calcium supplementation should be considered for individual patients.
- Calcium supplements should be given under close medical supervision.
- Medical supervision is required whilst on treatment to prevent hypercalcaemia.