BAZETOL 200 XR
BAZETOL 200 XR is brand name of Carbamazepine 200mg. Carbamazepine is an anticonvulsant. It works by decreasing nerve impulses that cause seizures and nerve pain, such as trigeminal neuralgia and diabetic neuropathy.Carbamazepine is also used to treat bipolar disorder.
Antiepileptic Agent/ Anticonvulsant
Dose and Direction of Use
Swallow the tablet whole by mouth. You can take it with or without food. Don't crush, chew or break the tablet. Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
Carbamazepine stabilises hyperexcited nerve membranes, inhibits repetitive neuronal discharges, and reduces synaptic propagation of excitatory impulses. It is conceivable that prevention of repetitive firing of sodium-dependent action potentials in depolarised neurons via use- and voltage-dependent blockade of sodium channels may be its main mechanism of action.
Whereas reduction of glutamate release and stabilisation of neuronal membranes may account for the antiepileptic effects, the depressant effect on dopamine and noradrenaline turnover could be responsible for the antimanic properties of carbamazepine.
- Epilepsy - generalised tonic-clonic and partial seizures.
- The paroxysmal pain of trigeminal neuralgia.
- For the prophylaxis of manic-depressive psychosis in patients unresponsive to lithium therapy.
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to carbamazepine or structurally related drugs (e.g. tricyclic antidepressants) or any other component of the formulation.
- Atrioventricular block, a history of bone marrow depression or a history of hepatic porphyrias (e.g. acute intermittent porphyria, variegate porphyria, porphyria cutanea tarda).
It is contraindicated in combination with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem, seizures or liver problem before taking this medicine
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine. Do not stop taking the medication suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may increase the seizure frequency.
- It may cause dizziness or drowsiness so avoid any activity that requires concentration unless you know how the medicine acts on you.
- Inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or behavior, new or worsening depression, or suicidal thoughts or behavior.
- Your doctor may get regular tests done to monitor the level of blood cells in your blood while taking this medication.