National Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
AZITHRO 500 is brand name of Azithromycin 500mg. Azithromycin is an antibiotic drug which is mostly used to treat respiratory tract infections, skin infections and some sexually transmitted diseases.
An Azalide, a subclass of Macrolide Antibiotics.
Dose and Direction of Use
Take this medication whole by mouth with or without food. You may take this medicine with food if it upsets your stomach as prescribed by your doctor.
Azithro is usually taken once a day. Try to taking the medicine at the same time each day. The usual dose is 500mg a day for 3 to 10 days depending on the infection being treated. For some infections, dose can be given a one-off higher dose of 1g or 2g. The dose may be lower for children or for patients with liver or kidney problems.
Mode of Action
Azithromycin binds to the 23S rRNA of the bacterial 50S ribosomal subunit. It blocks protein synthesis by inhibiting the transpeptidation/translocation step of protein synthesis and by inhibiting the assembly of the 50S ribosomal subunit.
- Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Acute bacterial sinusitis
- Community-acquired pneumonia
- Uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections
- Urethritis and cervicitis
- Genital ulcer disease
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to Azithromycin
- History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with prior use of azithromycin
Precautions and Warning
- For the best effect, take this antibiotic at evenly spaced times.
- Stopping the medication too early on your own may allow bacteria to continue to grow, which may result in a return of the infection. So, complete the whole prescribed time.
- If you take an antacid that contains aluminum or magnesium, wait at least 2 hours before or after taking azithromycin as it can decrease the absorption of Azithromycin.
- Don't take extra dose for the missed one.
- Azithromycin can make you sunburn more easily. You can wear scarf or use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outside.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding women then consult to your doctor before taking this medication.