Atortin-5 is a brand of Atorvastatin 5 mg Tablet.It belongs to a class of statins. It lowers the cholesterol level and reduces the risk of heart disease.
HMG-Co.A Reductase Inhibitor (Lipid Lowering Agent)
Dose and Direction of Use
Swallow the tablet whole by mouth. You can take it with or without food. Don't crush, chew or break the tablet. Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
Atorvastatin is a selective, competitive inhibitor of HMG-CoA reductase, the rate-limiting enzyme responsible for the conversion of 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-coenzyme A to mevalonate, a precursor of sterols, including cholesterol.
Atorvastatin lowers plasma cholesterol and lipoprotein serum concentrations by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase and subsequently cholesterol biosynthesis in the liver and increases the number of hepatic LDL receptors on the cell surface for enhanced uptake and catabolism of LDL. Atorvastatin reduces LDL production and the number of LDL particles.
- Hypercholesterolemia/ High cholesterol
- Prevention of cardiovascular disease
Don't use this medicine if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to Atorvastatin
- Active liver disease or unexplained persistent elevations of serum transaminases exceeding 3 times the upper limit of normal
- Treated with the hepatitis C antivirals glecaprevir/pibrentasvir
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem or liver problem before taking this medicine
- Inform your doctor if you experience fatigue, muscle weakness or muscle pain.
- It may cause diarrhea, gas or an upset stomach. If any of these happen to you, take it with food.
- Your doctor may check your liver function before starting the treatment and regularly. Inform your doctor if you notice signs of liver problems such as stomach pains, unusually dark urine or yellowing of skin or eyes.
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine.