Acarbose-50 is the brand name for the oral hypoglycemic drug containing acarbose 50mg. It is used in lowering the blood sugar level after meals.
Dose and Direction of Use
- Swallow the tablet without breaking or chewing or crushing the tablet.
- Follow the dose and direction of medication as per the prescription.
- Do not skip the medication.
Mode of Action
Acarbose works by slowing the action of certain chemicals that break down food to release glucose (sugar) into your blood. Slowing food digestion helps keep blood glucose from rising very high after meals.
Type II diabetes
- Hepatic impairment
- Renal impairment
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem , heart problem or liver problem before taking this medicine.
- Pack a biscuit or chocolate with you, incase you feel dizzy due to low sugar level in the body.
- Take this medication regularly as prescribed by the doctor along with proper diet and exercise.
- Monitor your blood glucose level timely.
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine.
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake while taking this medicine as it may increase the risk of low blood sugar levels.