Acar-25 is a brand name of Acarbose 25 mg Tablet. It is an oral hypoglycemic agent.It helps lower the blood sugar levels after meals.
Antidiabetics (Alpha-glucosidase inhibitor)
Dose and Direction of Use
Acarbose tablets are taken orally and should be swallowed whole with a little liquid directly before the meal or chewed with the first mouthful of food.Follow the dose and duration as prescribed by the doctor.
Mode of Action
It blocks the alpha gluscosidase enzymes in the brush border of intestine.The enzymes are responsible for the breakdown of carbohydates to glucose.Blocking the enzyme delays the carbohydrate breakdown and thereby delays glucose absorption.
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
Don't use this medication if you have:
- Hypersensitivity to Acarbose
- Patients with inflammatory bowel disease, colonic ulceration, partial intestinal obstruction or in patients predisposed to intestinal obstruction.
- Should not be used in patients who have chronic intestinal diseases associated with marked disorders of digestion or absorption and in patients who suffer from states which may deteriorate as a result of increased gas formation in the intestine, e.g. larger hernias.
- Acarbose is contraindicated in patients with hepatic impairment.
- Severe Renal impairment
Precautions and Warning
- Consult with your doctor if you are pregnant or breast feeding woman before taking this medicine to understand the risk and benefit ratio.
- Talk to your doctor about past medical history like kidney problem , heart problem or liver problem before taking this medicine.
- Pack a biscuit or chocolate with you, incase you feel dizzy due to low sugar level in the body.
- Take this medication regularly as prescribed by the doctor along with proper diet and exercise.
- Monitor your blood glucose level timely.
- Don't double the dose for the missed one.
- Complete the prescribed dose and duration of medicine.
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake while taking this medicine as it may increase the risk of low blood sugar levels.