DR YAM BAHADUR ROKA
Dr Roka was born in Balewa, Baglung district of Nepal in 26 September . He was the fourth child of Captain Padam Bahadur Roka (Indian Army) and Mrs Min Kumari Roka. Roka senior had a vision of educating his children and hence took jumior Roka to India at the age of 4 years. From Madras to Kalimpong to Belgaum he studied in Indias best Boy boarding schools and passed his +12 in 1989 with 84% and 98 in Biology. He was also the All India Topper in the combined UPSC, National Defence Academy (NDA) exam in 1989 but left the course as he was unable to join airforce.
After briefly studying BSc. Hons Zoology in Delhi University where too he was the 5th University topper he joined MBBS at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) which he passed with honours in 1997. Immediately that year he got selected via the All India PG exam and joined Master in Surgery which he finished in the year 2000.In spite of all his good academic record, Job options and career in India he decided to come back to Nepal. He joined BP Koirala Institue of Health sciences, Dharan as a faculty in year 2000. It was there that he noticed the lack of neurosurgery, brain trauma related deaths and the Financial and Psychological Consequences herewith, in the whole eastern Nepal which made him decide to further study the subject and he joined National Academy of Medical Sciences, Kathmandu in 2004 under Dr Devkota. During the study period completed his 2 year fellowship in Skull base surgery from Singapore. After completing the M.Ch. Neurosurgery he returned to Eastern Nepal and started Neurosurgery.
Presently based in Biratnagar for the past 8 years he has done more than 3600 surgeries and saved thousands of lives. He has also conducted multiple free health camps in all over eastern Nepal, Janakpur to Taplejung. He has appeared in various healths related programs in Radio, Newspapers and TV propagating Neurosurgery in East Nepal. Under his guidance he has completed One UK research trial and is doing another head injury trial (CRASH 3) from London.
He also has published more than 60 articles in various national and international journals. Dr Roka has presented various research papers in multiple international conferences and travelled to over 27 countries. He is also the recipient of various National awards and International awards for his contribution to Neurosurgery in eastern Nepal.
Presently he is the Secretary of Neurovascular chapter, Nepalese society of Neurosurgeons, Senior Vice President of Koshi Nepal Medical Association, Editor in chief of Nepal journal of Neuroscience and Member of American neurosurgeon association, Congress of neurosurgeons, Indian Neuro society, world stroke organization, epilepsy society and trauma associations etc.
His wife, Dr Narayani Roka is Consultant Ophthalmologist and he has 2 sons, Suyam Roka aged 13 and Safin Roka, 12 years studying in India. His younger brother is a graduate from Yale University and is Professor in Wisconsin, USA.
Apart from these he writes poems and has done Paragliding, Scuba diving, Canoeing, Rock climbing, Trekking, Sky diving and white water Rafting.
In future he plans to expand the neurosurgery to the masses and educate the population regarding head injuries.
- NMC Number - 3067
- Qualification - MBBS, MS Surg, MCh. Neurosurg.,IFAANS, Skull& Vascular Fellow
- Speciality - Neurosurgery
- Website - N/A
- General surgery: 1997-2000 Resident in surgery Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, India 2000-2001 Senior Resident Dept of Surgery, BPKIHS, Nepal 2001-2004 Assistant Professor Dept of Surgery, BPKIHS, Nepal 2008-2009 Additional Professor Dept of Surgery, BPKIHS, Nepal N/A - Present
- Neurosurgery: 1999 Resident NIMHANS, Bangalore, India 2003 Fellow AIIMS, New Delhi, India 2004-2006 Registrar Neurosurgery Dept, Kathmandu 2007 Fellow Neurosurgery Dept, SGH, Singapore 2007 Clinical associate Neurosurgery Dept, SGH, Singapore 2007-2008 Registrar Neurosurgery Dept, TTSH, Singapore 2008-09 Chief Neurosurgical Unit B. P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences Dharan, Nepal N/A - Present
- Level Board/University Percentage Year 1. SLC CBSE, N. Delhi 74% 1987 2. SSLC CBSE, N. Delhi 84% (98/100 in Biology) 1989 3. MBBS Banaras Hindu University, India 1st Div. 1997 4. M.S. (Surgery) Rajiv Gandhi University 1st Div 2000 of Health sciences, Bangalore, India 5. MRCS Ed Part I RCS Edinburgh,UK 77 % 2006 6. MRCS Ed Part II RCS Edinburgh,UK 79% 2006 7. DNB-I, New Delhi Pass 1997 (Diplomate of National Board) 8. M.Ch Neurosurgery NAMS, Nepal 2008 9. Fellowship (Skull Base Surgery & Vascular) NNI, Singapore 2007-8 10. International English Language Certification (IELTS), UK 8/9 Score 11. . BCLS and ACLS Certification Singapore 2007 N/A
- Early surgery versus initial conservative treatment in patients with spontaneous supratentorial lobar intracerebral haematomas (STICH II): a randomised trial. Mendelow AD, Gregson BA, Rowan EN, Murray GD, Gholkar A, Mitchell PM; STICH II Investigators. Lancet. 2013 Aug 3;382(9890):397-408. Jan 2013
- Y B Roka. Review of materials used and our experience with bone cement cranioplasty. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience 14:7-13, 2017 Jan 2017
- Y B Roka. Telovelar Approach to IVth Ventricle Tumor: Experience and Review of Literature. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience 14:16-20, 2017 Jan 2017
- Yam B Roka, Afjal Firoj, Jha Alok, Lohani Biprav. Single Burr Hole and Drainage in Chronic Subdural Hematoma: Outcome in Consecutive 333 Cases. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience Vol 13, No 1 (2016) Jan 2016
- Y B Roka, D Jaisy. Epidemiological Profile and Outcome in 100 Cases of Severe Traumatic Brain Injury from Eastern Nepal Nepal Journal of Neuroscience 11:59-64, 2014 Jan 2014
- Y B Roka, AJ Thapa. Non Decompressive Single Stage Bilateral Craniotomy in Traumatic Brain Injury. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience 10:45-48, 2013 Jan 2013
- Y B Roka, Manzil Shrestha, Pushpa Raj Puri,HB Adhikari. Surgery for intracranial aneurysm in eastern Nepal: a new beginning. Nepal J neuroscience, 9:5-9, 2012 Jan 2012
- YB Roka, S Dhungana, M Shrestha, PR Puri, A Chaudhary, S Aryal, RR Adhikari, M Deo. Profile of Admissions to Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit: Experience from the Only Centre in Eastern Nepal. PMJN, Vol 11, No 2 (2011) Jan 2011
- A. Bajracharya, A. Agrawal, Y B Roka, CS Agrawal, O. Lewis. Spectrum of surgical trauma and head injuries at a university hospital in eastern Nepal. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2010 1: 2-8 Jan 2010
- Y.B. Roka, A. Shah. Post Traumatic Epidural Hematoma: Outcome Analysis in 68 Consecutive Unselected Cases. Nepal Journal of Neuroscience 2010 1:6-9 Jan 2010
- Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Sharma GR, Adhikari D. Expanding scope of neuroendoscopy in a developing country. PMJN 2009 8; 2 Jan 2009
- Khadka NK, Sharma GR, Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Adhikari D, Devkota UP. Single burr hole drainage for chronic subdural haematoma. Nepal Med Coll J 2008 ;10:254-7 Jan 2008
- Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Sharma GR, Adhikari D, Khadka NK, Devkota UP. Role of repeat CT scan head in initially inoperable cases of traumatic head injury. Nepal Med Coll J 2008;10:225-9 Jan 2008
- Bista P, Roka YB. Cervical spondylosis in Nepalese porters. J Nepal Med Assoc 2008 ;47:220-3 Jan 2008
- Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Sharma GR, Adhikari P.Traumatic posterior fossa extradural haematoma. J Nepal Med Assoc 2008 ;47:174-8 Jan 2008
- Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Sharma GR, Adhikari D, Devkota UP. Sublabial transsphenoidal surgery for pituitary tumours:analysis of 83 cases PMJN 2008 8.1; 13-7 Jan 2008
- Roka YB, Kumar P, Bista P, Sharma GR, Adhikari D, Devkota UP. Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion:review of 101 cases. PMJN 2008 8.1; 99-02 Jan 2008
- SK Subedi, YB Roka, S Adhikari, CS Agrawal, N Shadke. Epidemiological risk factors for carcinoma breast in eastern Nepal.2004 JSSN 7.1; 34-7 Jan 2004
- R Zilinskas International Award 2018
- Indo –Nepal Shiromani Award 2015
- Dahal International foundation: Doctor of the year 2014
- Janabidroh National Newspaper: Medical person of the year 2012
- Biratnagar Jaycees club: Medical person of the year 2011
- WFNS travel grant , Seoul Korea 2013
- Travel award IOEC Melbourne, Australia 2010
- 9th Cerebrovascular fellowship, Nagoya, Japan 2009
- Codman Fellowship of WFNS, Boston USA 2009
- Epilepsy travel fellowship of ILAE Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 2004
- AANS/CNS Sub-Section Neuro Oncology International Member N/A
- AANS/CNS Sub-Section Vascular International member N/A
- AANS/CNS Sub-Section Trauma and Critical Care International Member N/A
- Nepal Medical Association Life Member N/A
- Neurological Society of India Life Member N/A
- Congress of Neurological Sciences Life Member N/A
- American Association of Neurological Sciences Life Member N/A
- NESON Life member N/A