Bone cancer is uncontrolled, uncoordinated growth of bone cells forming mass of tissue. They may be benign tumor which means they are not cancer and they don’t spread or they may be cancer which spreads. Bone cancers are of various types depending upon microscopic observation. Mostly, bone cancers are spread somewhere from body and mainly from prostrate, lung and breasts.
One may not have any symptoms at all but following symptoms are common:
- Easy fracture
- Night sweats
- Unusual swelling
Cause of bone cancer is similar as elsewhere. Loss of control over growth due to mutation of DNA is the cause. Bone cancer may have spread from somewhere.
- Imaging: X-ray, CT scan
- Blood test: serum alkaline phosphatase, serum calcium, LDH etc.
- Genetic predisposition/ family history
- Chemotherapy for other tumors
- Benign tumors
- Bone conditions eg. Pagets disease
- Benign tumors: may require simple excision
- Malignanat tumors: Their treatments depend on stage.
- Limb saving operation
- Radiation therapy
- Systemic chemotherapy