Asked by Anonymous User

on 26/2/22

I cured my acne with 6 months of Isotretinoin. It’s been 2 months since i completed that medication course and now I want to start topical tretinoin for a long term in order to prevent the further occurrence of acne, other skin benefits that it offers and specially because of its anti-aging benefits. Since this medication is also prescription based, my question is “Do I need to visit Dermatologist monthly to get prescription of this medication?”. I am asking this question because I am planning to use tretinoin for long term and i think it would be not so convenient to visit dermatologist monthly to get the prescription that i am going to use for years . I am a 22 years old male.

Replies to question

Dr. Mohan Bhusal

Dermatology Venereology, Aesthetics, Laser and Hair Transplantation, 4 Years of practice

Hi glad to know that you are so much concerned about your skin care. i assume you stopped oral isotretinoin in consultation with your dermatologist. I am focusing this beacuse if it is stopped before reaching a particular dose or without a good clinical accumen, it might flare up due to incomplete treatment. Generally we stop oral isotretinoin after 2 months of clinical cure. Regarding topical retinoids for maintanance and its antiaging property it is an excellent idea. For topical retinoids here in nepal and especially for males there is no such strict regulation. You can buy and continue that with yearly followup with your dermatologist. However before starting i would suggest you to consult a dermatologist and identify which type of retinoid and may be routine skin care products are suitable for you. I hope i was able to clarify your concerns.

Answered on 27/2/22

Post your Reply

Press Here to type in नेपाली ➤

Recently answered health questions

Your Health and Privacy Matters