Green tea is type of tea that is made from Camellia sinesis leaves and buds. It is processed further with weathering and oxidation to make black tea ready for use. Its use is increasing in recent days worldwide as its natural and has many beneficial effects to our health.
What are the constituents of green tea?
- Catechins(tannins):It acts as antioxidant and decreases cholesterol.
- Caffeine: It increase alertness.
- Theanine: It helps in neuronal cell protection.
- Vitamins: Green tea contains Vitamin C, folic acid and vitamin E.
- Minerals: It contains minerals like manganese, fluoride, potassium and calcium.
- Fragrance compounds: It also contains fragnance compounds in very small amount.
What are the health benefits of green tea ?
There are various proven health benefits of green tea. They are summarized as follows:
1. Improves metabolism and promotes weight loss: Green tea is scientifically proven to improve metabolism and promotes weight loss.
2. Lowers risk of cancer: It has antioxidants and tannins which prevents various cancers like: breast cancer, prostate cancer, colorectal cancer.
3. Improves brain function and makes you smarter: l-Theanine present in the green tea increases activity of GABA and has antianxiety effect.
Image source: organicfacts.net
4. Protects against Alzheimer and Parkinson’s disease: Green tea increases firing of neurons and release of neurotransmitter like dopamine, norepinephrine and thus helps in protecting these brain diseases.
5. Improves dental health and lowers risk of carries: Fluorine protects teeth from decaying.
6. Lowers risk of type 2 diabetes: Green tea improves metabolism and lowers risk of type 2 diabetes.
7. Elevates mood and decreases fatigue: Green tea contains caffeine which elevates mood and decreases tiredness.
8. Help you live longer: In study of 40530 Japanese men it was found that green tea is likely to reduce risk of death by 76% in 6 year period.
9. Lowers blood pressure: Green tea reduces body cholesterol and theanine present in it helps to lower blood pressure directly.
10. Maintains healthy skin: Vitamins present in green tea helps to maintain healthy skin and mucous membrane.
11. Hangover prevention: Caffeine helps to combat with hangover symptoms and have a fresh morning.
When should you drink green tea?
Morning: Green tea produces calm and soothing effect and provides antioxidants to body after a workout in the morning.
Evening: 2-3 hours before going to bed.
When not to drink?
Dont drink green tea just before bed or along with food.
Does green tea has any harmful effects?
Here are some of the side effects of green tea you should take in mind while drinking it for long time:
- Caffeine sensitivity: It causes insomnia, anxiety, irritability in caffeine sensitive patients.
- Blood thinners: Patient taking blood thinners medicines like warfarin should drink green tea with caution and consult doctor.
- Other stimulants: If taken with other stimulant drugs, green tea may increase blood pressure and heart rate.
So if you have any problems like mentioned above contact to the hospital or doctor nearby and get necessary opinion.