Covid-19 as we all know has become a pandemic, both epidemiologically and psychologically. The epidemiological aspects is what the whole world is dealing with. But what remains at large is the psychological aspect.
First, lets be familiar with the epidemiology of the disease.
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The time from exposure to onset of symptoms is typically around five days, but may range from two to fourteen days.
- Common symptoms include fever, cough, fatigue, shortness of breath, and loss of smelland taste. While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms, some progress to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) possibly precipitated by cytokine storm, multi-organ failure, septic shock, and blood clots.
- The virus is primarily spread between people in proximity, most often via small droplets produced by coughing, sneezing, and talking. The droplets usually fall to the ground or onto surfaces rather than traveling through air over long distances.
- It is most contagious during the first three days after the onset of symptoms, although spread is possible before symptoms appear, and from people who do not show symptoms.
- There are no vaccines nor specific antiviral treatments for COVID-19. Only the methods of prevention, that for sure exists, remains the hope.
Now that we are familiar with the basic epidemiological aspects of Covid-19, lets move on to psychological aspect.
First the initialising cause of the psychological pandemic:
- No vaccine or specific treatment
- Can spread from asymptomatic, and before any symptoms from the symptomatic
Next, the propagating cause of the psychological pandemic:
- Educated fools
- Blatant media (both mass and social media)
- Corporate houses selling fear of death
- Failed/clueless government
And the effects are:
- Rumors challenging the basic epidemiology of the disease
- Misinterpretation of the prevention guidelines
- Misuse of drugs and chemicals
- Fear of shortage due to black-marketing
- Mental aspects of social-distancing
- Increased fear of death and protectiveness
- Increased suicidal tendencies
The effect list is not all inclusive, as the effects are numerous and increasing. But what we need to realize is that the major cause of this psychological pandemic are not those listed as the initializing ones, but those which are listed as the propagating ones. And these, as one can understand, are man-made things, definitely can be tackled.
The best method to cope with this would be:
- Remain away from useless and blatant media. We definitely have official and positive medias working day and night to provide us with the needed.
- Remain close to family and better friends. It is physical-distancing that is needed, not the social-distancing.
- Talk, express and live. There's no any devil force out there which can hurt you, its within you, and you need to win over yourself. It may sound challenging, but believe me, its as simple as you can be.
Not to forget the methods of prevention, as a wise-man once said "prevention is better than cure"
- Frequent hand washing (soap or alcohol based sanitizer)
- Maintain physical distance from others (especially from those with symptoms)
- Cover coughs (flexed elbow, tissue paper)
- Keep unwashed hands away from the face
- Use face-masks and goggles when going out
Finally, "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time." – Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace.