Common cold is the acute upper respiratory tract infection i.e. nose and throat caused mainly by different viruses.
Many types of virus are the culprit of the common cold. Common viruses are;
- Rhinovirus - commonest
- Influenza virus
- Corona virus
- Respiratory Syncytial virus
- Parainflunza virus
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
- Muscle ache
- Loss of appetite
Mode of transmission:
Via air droplets while sneezing, direct contact with infected nasal secretions or fomites or contaminated objects
- Clinical diagnosis
- Isolation of viral agent involved is rarely performed
Most of the common colds are self limiting. Following measures can be performed:
- Take rest
- Drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration
- Gargling with warm saline water
- If fever and pain: take paracetamol or ibuprofen for pain relief.
- Handwashing and face masks while sitting around infected people.
- Vaccination against virus and isolation of the diseased is not much useful.